MateSel is a software package used to drive your breeding program. It makes selection and mating decisions while balancing genetic gain and diversity, but with deviations according to other technical and logistical constraints, as dictated by the user.
MateSel is used world-wide by top breeding organisations across the key animal industries including: Dairy, Beef, Pigs, Meat Sheep, Wool Sheep, Broilers, Eggs, Turkeys, Atlantic Salmon, Pacific Salmon, Rainbow Trout, and Shrimp.
MateSel is also used in plants including: Trees, Canola, Chickpeas, and Beans.
Many technical developments made for specific industries have proved useful across industries – so you can benefit from a wide range of ideas. While balancing genetic gain and diversity (Optimal Contributions Selection), you can simultaneously:
- Manage genetic defects and gene edits
- Manage trait distributions, including Tactical Desired Gains
- Target creation of different categories of seedstock for sale according to the needs of different categories of customer
- Handle the use of reproductive technologies
- Impose a wide range of constraints on animal movement, numbers of matings, patterns of mating, and others
- Use genomic information for mating decisions as well as for selection.
You are in control. You guide MateSel to a solution that you adopt, using an interactive graphical interface. If you don’t like what you see then you can "change the goalposts" and MateSel finds a solution for this new direction you have set. In the end, you make the decisions, not the program. But MateSel does all the hard stuff.
MateSel is also used in most organisations as a research tool, typically to explore different strategy options for implementing breeding programs. Options can be compared graphically on-screen to aid decisions on strategy.
MateSel’s current user base sees 150+ direct users across 30+ organisations and 100+ users accessing via service providers.
Want to learn more? Check out the Documentation